|What is Head Start/Early Head Start and How Do I Enroll My Child?
Head Start and Early Head Start are free Federal program for pregnant mothers and children ages 0 to 5 from low-income families. Children who attend Head Start receive comprehensive child development services, which include participation in a variety of educational activities following an established curriculum. Children also receive medical and dental screenings, healthy meals and snacks and have social interaction with other children in planned indoor and outdoor activities in age appropriate playgrounds that meet ADA requirements. Children with disabilities are mainstreamed into the Head Start classes.Pregnant mothers receive ongoing screenings and are provided with health education by a registered nurse in order to promote a healthy birth.
The program provides activities that help children grow mentally, socially, emotionally and physically and encourages them to form good personal and health habits, enjoy playing with toys, working on tasks with classmates, and become prepared for kindergarten.
Staff working with families provides services to the family and child, such as Mental Health, Psychological, and Nutrition services, plus linkage to other community resources.
How Do I Enroll My Child?
- Families must meet the income criteria (qualifications are based on income documentation).
- Children must be between 0 and 5 years old.
- There is no fee for enrollment.
- Applications are accepted continuously.
- Out of County/State applications: PSD is allowed to accept applications only for residents of San Bernardino County. If you live outside of San Bernardino County, but plan on moving here within the near future, please attach a brief note with your application, stating the time of your planned move and anticipated location to assist us in better serving your needs. Although we are unable to hold slots, please be assured we will make every effort to assist you in every way possible. For further information, call us at 1-888-KIDS 025.
How to Apply for Enrollment
- Download the Preliminary Enrollment Application (Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open document). (go to: Head Start Preliminary Enrollment Application Form - English and Español)
- An intake appointment in order to complete the application process may be made by returning the completed preliminary enrollment application form to:
Preschool Services Department of San Bernardino County
Attention: Central Eligibility Unit
662 South Tippecanoe Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0630
A Program Generalsit in your area may contact you to schedule an appointment at a convenient time for you. The Program Generalist will remind you as to what you need to bring to your appointment in order to expedite the application process.
Once your appointment has been scheduled, please bring the following to your appointment:
- Child's Birth Certificate
- Verification of Family Income
- Medi-Cal Number (if applicable)
If you have any questions or wish to make an appointment, please call the Eligibility Worker at the location nearest you (go to "Contacts" page for phone numbers). page for phone numbers).