Receiving CalWORKs Benefits

What is CalWORKs?
CalWORKs is a Human Services program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy California families. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments.
If a family has little or no cash and needs housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, they may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses.
The amount of a family’s monthly assistance payment depends on a number of factors, including the number of people who are eligible and the special needs of any of those family members. The income of the family is considered in calculating the amount of cash aid the family receives.
There are other programs and benefits, such as Homeless Assistance, for which a family may qualify by being on CalWORKs.
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
If you are working, it is possible you can continue to receive part of your CalWORKs grant, along with your earnings.  To apply for the Federal EITC, one must file an income tax return.  Free tax preparation is available to eligible San Bernardino County residents, employees and their friends and family!  If your household made under $51,000 in 2012, you may qualify for free, fast and accurate tax preparation services.  Federal and State returns are prepared and e- filed by IRS certified tax preparers.  You deserve your tax return... Claim it!
Who qualifies for CalWORKs?
Specific eligibility requirements take into account an applicant’s citizenship, age, income, resources, assets, and other factors. Generally, services are available to:
  • Families that have a child(ren) in the home who is deprived due to:
    • Absence,
    • Unemployment,
    • Disability or
    • Death of either parent.
  • Needy caretaker relatives of a foster child(ren).
What are the requirements?
Families applying for CalWORKs must provide proof of:
  • Income,
  • Property,
  • Citizenship status,
  • Age,
  • Social Security Number,
  • Residence,
  • Shelter costs,
  • Work or school status, and
  • Other information.
Renewing/Continuing CalWORKs Benefits
All CalWORKs and/or CalFresh families, with the exception of Non-Quarterly Reporting (NQR) CalFresh households, are required to report once a quarter on the Quarterly Report (QR 7).
For information, or instructions on continuing or renewing your CalWORKs benefits, click here.

CSC 1-877-410-8826 (Toll Free)

Find Your Local TAD Office

Eat Fresh